International Students

The UK has the National Health Service (NHS). The NHS is a publicly-funded system which provides healthcare for residents in the UK.

Eligibility for NHS treatment

You should be covered by the NHS if you have paid the immigration surcharge for your current period of immigration permission, or if your course lasts six months or more and you are an EEA national with a European Health Card.

If your course lasts less than six months you are not covered by the NHS. You should take out medical insurance to cover medical costs. You will also need to pay for any medicines prescribed by a doctor. The UKCISA website has more information about eligibility and medical costs

Before you arrive you will need to:

  • Arrange to get yourself immunised against measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) and meningitis ACWY before you leave.
  • Visit your dentist and / or optician before leaving home – dental and eye care can be expensive in the UK.
  • Consider health insurance so you are covered for medical costs before you register as a student at University.
  • Bring details in English of any past physical or mental illness requiring medical treatment.
  • Bring a full record of past immunisations, in English.
  • If you are an EEA national, bring your European Health Card.

If you have a pre-existing medical condition we advise you to:

  • Bring a summary of your medical records with you, including diagnosis and treatment details ideally translated into English.
  • If have a serious illness or you are currently undergoing treatment or investigation, bring a Doctor’s letter in English, summarising your medical history.
  • Find out whether you can get your medicine in the UK. If you cannot get your medicine in the UK, bring enough for the duration of your stay.